My Travels on the Net

Showing you how to use the Internet to your advantange.

Wednesday, December 5, 2007

 

I Am NOT an Audible Fan

I recently got a Zune (Microsoft's version of the iPod.) and I really like it. Being a long time NPR listener, I've heard about Audible for downloading audio files and decided to try it out. They have a one month free trial. (Or so they make it sound. Read the fine print.)

First Red Flag
Audible required a credit card for this "free" offer. They're hardly the first company to do this but it still says to me, "We're going to try to get every penny we can out of you. Please forget when you signed up for this service."

Second Red Flag
In order to get the book I wanted, I had to download special software to download the book. That's baloney. You shouldn't need special software to download an MP3 file. (I've already got all the usual programs used for downloading audio files.)

Third Red Flag
I wasn't downloading an MP3 file or any other commonly used file type. I was downloading a file type proprietary to Audible. They do this so they can control what you do with your purchase.

Fourth Red Flag
Once I installed their special software and then downloaded the file I wanted, I was asked what device I wanted to download it to. My new Zune was not one of the options on their list. Granted, a Zune isn't an iPod but it's made by Microsoft for heaven's sake! There are more than five of them out there!

I'm not going to describe how I finally got my "free" download onto my Zune. What's important is that it took another hour and a half to do.

The Final Straw
Since it required an advanced degree to download files from Audible to my Zune, I obviously wanted to cancel my account. Once I logged in and re-confirmed my password (Fortunately I keep track of passwords because they didn't send it to me when I created my account.) I was able to find the directions for canceling my account. In the cancellation process, I was asked why I was canceling my account. The first time I selected "unhappy with service." I was then sent to a screen telling me to call an 800 number during East Coast business hours to cancel my account. I then selected "technical issue" as the reason for canceling my account. I got the same screen. On the third try, I selected "financial" as the reason for canceling my account. I was then taken to a screen offering me a reduced rate for the next three months. I had to decline that offer to actually close my account.

I don't know what Super Genius thought is up but they need to be fired. This is no way to build a business. A service I really wanted to like, I now hate. And now I'm telling you about it. That's not good for business.

P.S. I sent Audible customer support and email about this experience. If I hear back f rom them, I'll let you know.

P.P.S. The next day I got a very nice reply from an Audible customer service rep letting me know that she personally didn't know that it was so difficult to cancel your account. She was going to bring it up to her supervisor. I wanted to send her a reply but noticed that they Reply To email address was a generic email address and probably wouldn't have gotten to her which is another pet peeve I have about big company customer service departments. It's kind of hard to build rapport when your customers have to talk to a different person each time the contact you about the same problem.

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

January 2007   February 2007   June 2007   July 2007   August 2007   September 2007   October 2007   November 2007   December 2007   January 2008   February 2008   March 2008   April 2008   May 2008   June 2008   September 2008   October 2008   November 2008   January 2009   February 2009   March 2009   April 2009   September 2009  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]