My Travels on the Net

Showing you how to use the Internet to your advantange.

Friday, June 22, 2007

 

The Power of a Domain Name

I knew the words in a domain name were important but yesterday I got a lesson in just how important a domain name is to ranking well in Google.

I’m working with a new client who is a mortgage broker in Virginia. His domain name is http://www.theresponsiblemortgagelender.com/ and we’ve been working on his website for about three weeks now. The site is live but there is no content on the pages. It’s just a shell right now while we fine tune the graphics and work on the content.

So, when he called me yesterday to tell me he got a call from a highly qualified lead who found him by searching Google for “Virginia responsible mortgage lender”, I was pretty surprised. The first two results were my client’s blog but what was especially surprising was that his website ranked #8! This is a website that has no page content, no meta tags or links to it…and within three weeks of being live ranks on the first page of Google for one of his most important key phrases.

At first, he thought I was a super genius but I had to be honest and tell him I really couldn’t take credit for it. Other than designing the site to be search engine friendly, I hadn’t done anything to justify such fast results. The only reason I could think of for why he ranked so well for “Virginia responsible mortgage lender” was because “responsible”, “mortgage” and “lender” are words in his domain name and the word “Virginia” is in his address at the bottom of each page.

What’s the lesson in all of this? You’re probably tempted to use your business name as your domain name but in most cases you’re going to rank well for that any way. Besides, any one searching on your domain name knows who you are. Most of your prospects don’t know your name, so why not rank well for the phrases they’re searching on? If possible, use the words your clients and prospects use in your domain name. Your website WILL rank better as a result.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

Archives

January 2007   February 2007   June 2007   July 2007   August 2007   September 2007   October 2007   November 2007   December 2007   January 2008   February 2008   March 2008   April 2008   May 2008   June 2008   September 2008   October 2008   November 2008   January 2009   February 2009   March 2009   April 2009   September 2009  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]